International Students

In order to be issued an I-20 authorization from the College, non-immigrant applicants must meet the College’s general admissions requirements and provide the following documentation.

  1. Submission of completion of secondary school as demonstrated by receipt of a recognized certificate of completion. Diplomas and supporting transcripts not written in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. High school completion documents submitted from a secondary school not recognized in the United States as providing equivalent education to a U.S. high school must be submitted for equivalency verification.

  2. Proof of English-language proficiency through any one of the following:

    • A score of 500 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL.

    • A score of 173 or higher on the computer-based TOEFL.

    • A score of 61 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL.

    • A score of 5.00 or higher on the IELTS.

    • Documentation of successful completion of an intermediate English course from a designated ESL center.

    • Documentation of successful completion of secondary studies (i.e., high-school level) in English (a minimum of four years).

    • Documentation of successful completion of post-secondary studies (i.e., college-level) in English (a minimum of 12 semester hours).

  3. Submission of a completed Enrollment Application for admission to Alaska Career College.

  4. Submission of a notarized statement of financial support or a certified sponsor letter indicating that tuition will be paid in advance and that all necessary living expenses for the enrollment period for the international applicant will be provided (Form I-134 may be used and is available online from the BCIS.

The above conditions (1-4) must be met and documents received by Alaska Career College before an international student will be accepted for admission. When the applicant meets all of the above requirements, a letter of acceptance and a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) are sent to the applicant. The student must submit the documents to a United States Consulate and apply for a United States Student Visa.

Non-immigrant applicants are to submit their valid passport with their student visa and I-94 form to the college showing the dates approved for stay in the United States.

Note: International students cannot receive U.S. federal financial assistance, nor can they work legally in the United States without permission from the BCIS, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (US Department of Homeland Security) The level of career development offered to international students/graduates will vary and will depend on the employment opportunities permitted by applicable law and/or on the students’/graduates’ visas. Alaska Career College will provide career-planning strategies if requested by international students. Applicants applying from abroad should check with their consulate or embassy for other pertinent requirements or restrictions.